Missed a few headlines this week? Worry not, ampoule I’ve got my finger on the sports pulse for you. Below is my weekly round-up of what’s trending or what’s coming up in sports: perfect for sports bars, buy cialis cocktail parties, clinic board rooms, and well…just knowing your week in sports.
- Streaking Sox: Yes, you read that correctly. After a disastrous season, the Sox are now on a sudden hot streak winning their last six games and coming off a sweep of the Kansas City Royals, the team that notoriously plays spoilers to the South Siders. Unfortunately, the streak comes a little too late in the season as the Sox sit dead last in the AL Central, 21.5 games behind the division leading Tigers, but better late than never. This late season streak proves the Sox still have a little life in them. Now, if the Sox can keep the hot streak going agains the division leading visiting Texas Rangers this weekend, then we might actually see a renewed interest in baseball in Chicago heading into the final month of the season.
- Hester eyeing Hall of Fame: This week Chicago Bears punt return master Devin
Hester told Chicago Tribune writer Mike Mulligan that he had one foot in the door right now to the Hall of Fame. Hester has returned 12 punt returns for touchdown, which is the most in NFL history. He believes that if he takes it back three or four times this season he should be considered an “80 percent” change of making it. As much as his whiny, slow ass has annoyed me lately, he does have a point. He revolutionized the position. He made people change up their game and the way they saw special teams. I think he might have more than just a step in.
- Fantasy football on the brain: The regular season is inching closer, and we all know what that means…fantasy football season! The fantasy fever started with SportsDivas, Inc’s. great fantasy event at The Anthem in Wicker Park this week. Don’t let the learning stop there! Take advantage of the time before you draft to beat your best guy friends or boyfriend. A great source is http://www.nfl.com/fantasy101, and the show “NFL Fantasy Live” on NFL.com next week (and during the season) at 12pm for great tips on who you should be eyeing for your team.
- Northwestern’s new unis: Northwestern’s football program may be on the rise with the Wildcats coming in at #23 in the preseason Top 25, but their newest uniforms set to debut in their season opener on August 31st vs. Cal, have me laughing. With a giant stripe running horizontally in the middle of the jersey and “Wildcats” strategically placed above the butt, staying true to the Wildcat purple, these new unis are hard to take seriously. In fact, they remind me of the PINK brand from Victoria’s Secret. I decided to mock up a little side-by-side comparison for show and tell. Not too pretty. Uniform failure.
- Aaron Hernandez’s verdict: And the verdict is….former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder charges by a grand jury in Massachusetts for killing former player Odin Lloyd. The Hernandez case has been the top gossip of the sports world, even similar to the Casey Anthony trail a ways back. And yet, it’s not over. The man will be going on trial soon. The worst part? There’s a firm affirmation that he’ll be returning to football again. Sad times.
- Sharapova turns Sugarpova: Tennis star Maria Sharapova is making some
more headlines off the court. Sharapova has plans to change her name to “Maria Sugarpova“…for the U.S. Open to help promote her candy line Sugarpova, and then change it back to Sharapova after the tournament. Are sponsorship and endorsements really getting to the point where athletes have to change their names now? That is absolutely ridiculous. This latest marketing scheme takes Sharapova down a few notches in my book.