Missed a few headlines this week? Worry not, pilule I’ve got my finger on the sports pulse for you. Below is my weekly round-up of what’s trending or what’s coming up in sports: perfect for sports bars, treatment cocktail parties, board rooms, and well…just knowing your week in sports.
- Blackhawks preseason tickets: Chicago is still in a state of hockey
fever, despite the season ending a month and a half ago. Chicago Blackhawks preseason tickets go on sale on Monday. Get your credit cards ready! The Blackhawks kick off their preseason against the Detroit Red Wings on September 17th at home and then welcome the Pittsburgh Penguins on September 19th. Two great opponents to start off the preseason.
- Jake Peavy dealt to the Red Sox: The Chicago White Sox decided to trade away their ace Jake Peavy to the Boston Red Sox. After five seasons and a total of 36 wins, Peavy heads to Boston at the age of 32. Peavy is on the last leg of his career, and the Red Sox believe he’s the last key to their rotation to surge them to the playoffs. The White Sox got three prospects in return, include 22-year-old Avisail Garcia who has a lot of potential apparently.
- Future Pro Bowls might actually be interesting: The NFL and NFLPA have decided to start
over with the Pro Bowl, and actually might make it interesting. Instead of the teams being split between the AFC and NFC, there will be two captains who will draft their team. Yup, just like high school dodgeball. Overall, a more exciting and interesting Pro Bowl will be the result of the much needed change. Honestly, I’m more excited to see the Pro Bowl Draft on NFL Network than anything else.
- Riley Cooper’s racial slurs: Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper hasn’t
made much noise on the field, but off the field he has certainly made a stir. While at a Kenny Chesney concert, Cooper was caught on tape using the n-word which appeared online at CrossingBroad.com. The repercussions of his careless actions have been swift and fierce from the media and the Eagles. As a white guy in the NFL, Cooper will need to be extra cautious on the field this upcoming season.
- A-Rod suspension in the works: Ryan Braun was first, and you knew who was coming next…Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez’s lawyers have stated that they are preparing for what MLB Commissioner Bud Sellig may throw at him, which many believe may be a career suspension from MLB. My question is, at what point does it cross the line? How many times has A-Rod’s name circled around performance-enhancing drugs? I’m ready for him to get a long suspension. And anyone else dumb enough to do it.
- LeBron for Prez: King James is seriously considering running for president of the National Basketball players’ association. His publicist has said the debate is between time commitment issues because of his sponsorship and charity commitments. I do not want that ugly mug to continue to be the face of basketball in any way possible. Let someone else have some limelight, LeBron.